For the Staff, Especially the Student-Staff
When I got into San Diego a month ago, I arrived at housing timid, a bit weary, and not knowing what would happened next. I met Kyle, the guy who called me on the phone ten days before, only for him to tell me that he wouldn't be my small group leader as was originally planned.
Ever since then, I've gotten to meet some great staff and student staff here on project. I thought Cameron, my actual small group leader, couldn't pour into me any more than he had, but then I asked him to baptize me and he went all out. Another student staff, Andrew, invited a bunch of us to lunch right away so we could get to know each other better. It's both the little things and the big things that make an impact on lives, and from my ministry team staff to any conversations I've had with any other staff, they've definitely made an impact on me.
But, now they're gone. They're off to Anaheim for a bit to relax, enjoy the parks, and spread their colds around. Then, the bulk of them go home for the second half of summer. Others go to Serbia. One of them goes to Poland instead.
I'm going to miss them. In five short weeks, several of them have been great friends. But, the point of this project is not for us to get clingy, nor is it for them to be with us forever. As of now, the project is ours. I see us as the reliable men that Paul was talking about in 2 Timothy 2:2, and they've equipped us to teach others. Meanwhile, the staff will be impacting other lives in ways that they couldn't do if they continued to be here in San Diego. Think of it this way: our big group is splitting into a few smaller groups.
I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty now that they're gone. I guess I just miss... okay, I'll stop.
Straight from my journal: I will see these people again. If not on earth, then later.
See you later, staff! God is with us, and God is with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment