...is over.
I did not watch a minute of a Stanley Cup Finals game this year. And after reading over the game recaps and watching the highlights on NHL.com, I know that I missed an amazing series between two awesome teams. I won't lie; I did at times wish I was watching hockey. But, looking back, every moment I spent not watching hockey was used for something much greater.
During Game 1, I, with about half the project, went to UCSD to share the gospel. It was a slow experience, partially because it was during finals week at UCSD, and it was during the evening, when nobody was out. I was out of gas, both physically and mentally, during this. Max, one of our staff guys, made a good point based off that - the mission applies at all times and with all people, even after a full day of other things, whether it's work, school, or anything else.
During Game 2, most of the project went to a San Diego Padres game. I didn't go because I didn't want to spend 16 bucks on a ticket and about $1,000 more on food. Instead, I told my pre-project story to one of the other guys who stayed back, and a group of 10 of us went to Denny's. It was a great time with the smaller, but still relatively large group.
Game 3 was on a Monday, so we had Men's Time. It was after my last day of job hunting, which was pretty frustrating. It was great to spend time with the guys talking about a good men's topic, which is taking responsibility as a man and empowerment. What was especially great was being in a small group of men to discuss the topic, being open and authentic with them, and knowing that other guys are in similar places as me.
During Game 4, we had our International Dinner. I'm not going to get into details about this, but it was definitely an eye-opening experience that I hope impacts anybody who goes on San Diego Summer Project.
During Game 5, the women were out on their retreat (1), and the guys were back at project housing. The guys got together and filmed an awkward music video with a bunch of pop songs. At the time, I much rather would've been watching Game 5 because music videos aren't my thing, but I did want to honor the girls. We honored them and they honored us in so many different ways. It was an amazing time, and the girls generally loved the video. Looking back, I don't regret dancing to Gangnam Style more often during that day than I did in the rest of my life.
(1) It's worth noting that the men's retreat was scheduled during Game 7 of the NBA Finals. Excellent job, project directors - you kept us guys at home for the superior sport!
During Game 6, I got baptized. That'll be its own post. I just need some time to process it all.
Congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks on winning the Stanley Cup. I was rooting for the Bruins in this series, but the Blackhawks definitely are a great team, and they deserve this Stanley Cup victory. That's all for hockey until next season, so I won't have to worry about missing more games. Yet, I never worried about missing games in the first place. This project and this group of friends has been that much of a blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment